Monday, April 16, 2012

Heat Wave

Transferred from my other blog: The Adventures of Sisterhood
First published: 4-16-12 at 11:05 PM EDT

Here in North Carolina, really in all of Bible Belt America, it's been heating up. The last 3 days have been some of the hottest days we've had all year. My little sister, recovering from yet another ear infection, has not been happy.

Today's entry is about the in-between. Everyone knows and hates the in-between, when it's still pollen-y outside, air full of allergens, yet the sun is beating on our backs and torturing us with 90 degree weather, and mosquitoes start sneaking into the house. Neighborhood pools aren't yet open (though I don't think ours even has a pool). Here in the south, droughts have been recurring for the past few years, so no beautiful sprinklers either. What is there to do when the blithering sun is languishing even the most energetic of us?

My family and I took my little sister to the playground near our house a couple of times this weekend. Before it's too dark and too much of bug territory, we sneak a few hours in the sun. But those few hours have to be before noon or around 3 or 4. They must be oh-so-precisely timed or we'll be stuck in the heat on the walk back. Once we get to the playground, the slide is hot, the swing sets are as well.

In fact, everywhere is hot. Today, I struggled and winced my way into opening a doorknob to get into the studio at which I take music lessons. Kylie's car seat buckles, black colored plastic, is hot to the touch while buckling. I'm honestly surprised that she hasn't protested because of it, yet. The worst thing about all of this is that the worse has yet to come. Summer's not even begun, and we're already suffocating under the sun.

On another note, our grandmother arrived from China last Thursday. She'll be spending 6 months with us, primarily to help care for Kylie. She cared for Kylie between Kylie's 2 months and 8 months old, but Kylie's pretty much just re-met her. One of the shiest babies' I know, it took her less than 2 days to completely warm up to our grandmother. ♥

-Chichi

No comments:

Post a Comment