Monday, March 26, 2012

Sisterhood in the Hunger Games

Transferred from my other blog: The Adventures of Sisterhood
First published: 3-26-12 at 11:12 PM EDT

This weekend, some friends and I went to celebrate one of their birthdays by seeing a movie that just recently came out, the Hunger Games. The movie itself drew a ton of hype. Honestly, it really didn't live up to my expectations, but that's not my point here.

In the book and movie, Katniss goes off to fight as a tribute in the 74th annual district Hunger Games because her younger sister was at first chosen as the tribute. Katniss volunteered to replace Primrose as the female representative from their district. It is because of this action that eventually leads to a revolution in the districts (sorry, that's a spoiler for Catching Fire and Mockingjay!). Today, I was speaking with the birthday boy, and he asked me if it were me and Kylie, would I have volunteered for my baby sister? Would I volunteer to replace anyone?

Without experiencing what is going on in the fictional world that Suzanne Collins created for us, I can't accurately predict my own actions or judge the actions of the characters. I'd like to say that I'm sure I would volunteer for anyone younger than myself, anyone with more promise and opportunity and deserves to live to see as least as much as I have. However, I can only truthfully say that the only person I'm positive that I'd undoubtedly volunteer to replace is my baby sister.

Assuming that I'm 19 and she's 7 (not in the age eligibility range in the series). If, out of oh so many names it's hers that is chosen, though I wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as Katniss, I would not allow, under any circumstance, my baby sister to go into cruel, blood-shedding combat with other kids. There's so much violence, danger, and thirst for fame and power that even if she survived and won, she'd be traumatized out of her mind or turned into a monster. What little kid wouldn't, if they were to watch people get decapitated by spears?

If it were your sibling, what would you do?

-Chichi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment