Monday, February 6, 2012

Kylie and Chichi

Transferred from my other blog: The Adventures of Sisterhood
First published: 2-6-12 at 4:33 PM PDT

My baby sister is named Kylie. Currently, I'm watching her chug milk from the sippy cup that she's balancing with one hand and pick at a plate of egg-bits with the other. She was born on October 22, 2010, and is currently 15 months old. She and I are 12 years and 8 months apart, and I love her with all of my heart.

For the almost 13 years before Kylie was born, I was an only child. As I got older, our schedule completely revolved around me and my extracurriculars. When my mom told me that she was pregnant, I didn't believe it. Literally. I thought she was joking. I thought she was far too old to have another baby. When reality hit, I'll admit, I had my doubts about having a sibling. How was I supposed to go from the only kid to the older kid? Sister? That word was foreign to me. Would we be close? Would she do gymnastics like me? What happens if she asks me to do her hair? I could barely do my own. For a few weeks, those were the only thoughts that ran through my mind. The one friend I told about her nicknamed her "the baby cow" completely by chance. I gave updates like, the cow kicked today! or the cow is 20 weeks old! Mutual friends would look at us like we were crazy. The day that Kylie was born, my science teacher gave me permission to text my dad to ask for pictures during class. He sent two, of her laying inside a little NICU, and the moment I saw them, I knew I had the most beautiful baby sister in the world.

At 15 months old, Kylie can walk, almost run, clap her hands, and say about a dozen words in Chinese and English. Her shining eyes are brown-black, and her hair is thin, short (we shaved it twice so she'd have full, healthy hair in the future - it's a long backstory), and also brown-black. She's petite for her age, and she likes to be tickled. She loves reading books and pointing to the pictures to ask you what they are. She knows how to share her toys. She loves sliding. Her favorite part of stuffed animals are the eyes and the tag. She likes to copy the sounds that you make. She dances when she hears music. I could go on for days about her, but at her 15 months old, our adventures together are just beginning.

-Chichi


No comments:

Post a Comment